Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Using Pixlr to Create Transparent Image Backgrounds

Getting Started with my Classroom Website
Online Image Editing 


Happy Fourth of July! I started working on my new classroom website using the district's approved Moodle-based tool, but I quickly discovered that I was going to need to do some simple image editing (create transparent image backgrounds). I decided to explore some of the advanced editing options available on the Pixlr website. I have used the Pixlr Express portion of the site previously but never took the time to look at the more robust version of this tool. After some trial and error, I discovered a way to make my image backgrounds transparent.  I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the options available for online image editing in Pixlr. I will be using this site more in the future and hope to incorporate it into some photo editing lessons next year. In the meantime, I hope these steps for creating transparent image backgrounds may save someone else a little time:

1. Go to Pixlr and choose to Open image from computer
2. Go to Layer>New Layer
3. Double-click to unlock the image layer. Drag to move up in the layers toolbox. It will now be placed above the new layer.


4. Use the magic wand tool to select the background area in the image layer.
5. Go to Edit and Cut. The background area will now be checkered gray and white which means it is transparent. Repeat this step until all the desired background areas are removed.













6. Go to File>Save and select .png in the format pop-down menu to save your new image with transparent background.

So easy! (once I figured out the steps).



7 comments:

  1. thanks so much for this tutorial. this helped a lot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this. You are a wonderful person. I have this bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your help. Worked perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks For Giving Up This Process To Removing Background...Thanks A Lot....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the awesome tutorial, you saved my day. I used your tutorial to create a Favicon in my blog. Check out the Favicon, it is a transparent image of India's National symbol, the Ashoka Sthamb (Pillar)

    My Blog: http://defenceguruindia.blogspot.in/

    Thank you once again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much. Saved my day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to provide input!